As York's foremost employee-volunteering charity, York Cares makes friends across all the sectors. Here are what a few of them have to say about what we do, and the difference it makes to them.
'Volunteering is so easy with York Cares.'
‘ I enjoy the whole experience of volunteering and working with the children to help them achieve. It is so rewarding to know we are making a difference, especially as you can see the improvement in their reading as the year goes on. Volunteering is beneficial for me too, as reading with the children is a worthwhile respite that enables me to return to work with a clear mind after only an hour away! Volunteering is so easy with York Cares and it’s definitely an enriching experience. ’
Marie Brasnett — Office manager, Pryers Solicitors
'York Cares facilitate the whole process.'
‘ It was a rewarding experience and although we won’t know immediately of the benefits for these young people, we have opened up an insight for them to reflect on, as they put themselves forward for employment. Young people are our future and I would encourage all businesses in our City to contact York Cares, to find out just how easy it is to make a difference to some of our young underprivileged citizens. It certainly is not too onerous to become involved as York Cares facilitate the whole process. ’
Steve Hughes — Managing Editor, York Evening Press
Find out more about » Starting Blocks
'It is very fulfilling...'
‘ If other businesses are thinking of joining York Cares, I would tell them to go for it! It is a really welcome change of scenery for the staff, and you can really feel there is a difference being made to the community. You can see what York Cares wants to do, and it is very fulfilling to be a part of that. ’
Kimberley Barton — PA, Langleys Solicitors
Find out more about » Team challenges
'Don't wait - get in touch with York Cares now!'
‘ If other York companies are thinking of volunteering on projects with kids – I would say, 'don’t wait….get in touch with York Cares now!' It is a hugely rewarding experience and a fantastic way to raise children’s aspirations and their awareness of the many and varied jobs available to them…after all, they are the workers of the future. ’
Simon Godfrey — employee, Northern Rail
Find out more about » York Children's University
' I would love to help out on another project like this. '
‘ I like volunteering for outdoor/wildlife-promoting activities so I thought the York Cares Community Challenge sounded like a great event to dedicate my time to. I enjoyed working alongside the young and enthusiastic people from the local colleges/schools. I would love to help out on another project like this, to encourage people to enjoy nature and wildlife. ’
Kirsten Brown — Auditor, Food and Environment Research Agency
Find out more about » Team challenges
Call us ...
- You can join us
- York Cares makes volunteering easy for organisations of all sizes with a flexible, reliable and high-profile framework.
- Success stories
- Read about some of the ways we've helped our employer members to deliver real, recognisable benefits to York communities.
- York Children's University
- Your volunteers can help disadvantaged children from York primary schools learn key life skills such as finance or cookery — or you can deliver your own sponsored programme.
- Enterprise Hub
- Share your business expertise with charity and community organisations. Volunteers can offer support with specific skills such as IT or marketing or undertake a discrete project with an organisation, for example a policy review or a market research study.
- Starting Blocks
- Through this nationally-acclaimed, York-based programme you can provide supported work placements and skills workshops for care leavers aged 16-18.
- Team challenges
- Your volunteers can work together in a team to address York's community needs throughout the year, choosing from a menu of practical community challenges and seasonal challenges.
- Young York Cares
- Your volunteers can help us to engage over 1000 young people each year from schools, further and higher education in inspirational community projects around York.