York Children's University
‘Our Transport sessions have seen us take children on trains to help them learn about the rail industry, how it contributes to the economy and the jobs available within it. It's been tremendously satisfying for our employee volunteers and for the children too.’
Richard Allan — Head of Marketing, Northern Rail
York Children's University links real life and learning for disadvantaged children from York primary schools.
Our employer partners help deliver a range of innovative modules including:
- Advertising - discovering different media like print, journalism and advertising
- Food & Hospitality - teaching children about healthy eating
- Law & Justice - learning about the criminal justice system
- Money - making money management fun
- Retail - learning about the lifecycle of a product
- Science of Food - finding out what goes into our food and how far it travels to get to our plate
- Tracks & Trains - understanding railway signalling
- Transport Yourself - trains and rail travel
We are looking for new employer partners to help deliver a range of new innovative modules including:
- Construction - this could include how buildings are designed, and the health and safety aspects of this work
- Technology - this could consider various aspects of technology such as design, computers, or science
If you have an interesting idea for a module relating to your area of business, please do get in touch as we are always looking to expand our existing list of modules.
We also run a Right to Read programme in which volunteers read with children to boost their literacy.
To find out more about how your organisation can get involved in York Children's University — or anything else about York Cares — just contact our dedicated team, based at The University of York. We would love to hear from you.
Call us ...
Could you inspire children about your job? We are currently recruiting for 'A day in the life of...' sessions in schools.
Find out more about our Right to Read programme.
- You can join us
- York Cares makes volunteering easy for organisations of all sizes with a flexible, reliable and high-profile framework.
- Success stories
- Read about some of the ways we've helped our employer members to deliver real, recognisable benefits to York communities.
- York Children's University
- Your volunteers can help disadvantaged children from York primary schools learn key life skills such as finance or cookery — or you can deliver your own sponsored programme.
- Enterprise Hub
- Share your business expertise with charity and community organisations. Volunteers can offer support with specific skills such as IT or marketing or undertake a discrete project with an organisation, for example a policy review or a market research study.
- Starting Blocks
- Through this nationally-acclaimed, York-based programme you can provide supported work placements and skills workshops for care leavers aged 16-18.
- Team challenges
- Your volunteers can work together in a team to address York's community needs throughout the year, choosing from a menu of practical community challenges and seasonal challenges.
- Young York Cares
- Your volunteers can help us to engage over 1000 young people each year from schools, further and higher education in inspirational community projects around York.